CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cincinnati Public Schools reported more than 1,300 new coronavirus cases among students and staff this week as COVID-19 numbers remain high across Ohio, according to the latest weekly update from the State Department of Health.
The latest weekly update shows that 11 school districts are reporting at least 300 combined cases (students and staff) and 17 are reporting at least 200. A total of 55 school districts have reported at least 100 new cases.
The Cincinnati School District’s 1,368 new cases this week included 1,221 among students and 147 among its staff.
The latest weekly update shows nearly every school district in northeast Ohio came out of the top 25. The highest in the region was Akron Public Schools, ranked 26th in the state, with 87 student cases and 53 staff cases.
Not far behind is Gilmour Academy, a private school in Cleveland, ranked 30th in the state with 106 student cases and 19 staff cases. The Cleveland Metropolitan School District was 31st, with 82 student cases and 43 staff cases.
Mentor Exempted Village in Lake County (99 students, 18 staff) and Medina City Schools in Medina County (103 students, 8 staff) also reported at least 100 cases combined.
Ohio reported 21,664 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, according to ODH data.
Cleveland.com and The Plain Dealer compiled data from numbers reported to the state health department from public and private school districts across the state. Current figures only reflect data added from the previous week (Monday to Sunday). Therefore, the update is based on data collected from January 10 to January 16.
Here is a list of the 10 school districts in Ohio that reported the most new infections in this week’s update.
1. Cincinnati Public Schools (Hamilton) – 1,221 students, 147 staff
2. Dublin City (Franklin) – 635 students, 51 staff
3. Lakota Local (Butler) – 568 students, 76 staff
4. Columbus City School District (Franklin) – 335 students, 143 employees
5. Worthington City (Franklin) – 350 students, 66 staff
6. Westerville City (Franklin) – 356 students, 54 staff
7. Toledo City (Lucas) – 304 students, 79 staff
8. Gahanna-Jefferson City (Franklin) – 342 students, 38 staff
9. Milford Exempted Village (Clermont) – 278 students, 36 staff
10. Sylvania Schools (Lucas) – 273 students, 35 staff